Saturday, August 11, 2012

Spare Bedroom Makeover

I briefly touched upon my spare bedroom makeover in my last post, but I wanted to dedicate an entire post on what I did and how I did it, since I'm so very proud of how it turned out :)

When we moved into our new 4[!] bedroom house, I was not sure what I was going to do to fill up all these rooms.  Ironically enough, I've now found a purpose for all of them and we don't even have kids yet! Yikes!  So anyway, this spare bedroom was my first major house project that I tackled.  It started out with lime green and dark green walls (eww!) and hideous baseboards.  After changing my mind 63 times, I decided I wanted to go with a purple/gray/white theme in the new bedroom.  My husband still thinks it's "too girly" but whatever.  Let me show you a few "before" pictures so you an see just how hideous it was.

This is how the previous owner had it:



















And here's the other side:















And here's the room after we moved in and used it as our junk room lol:
















So I picked out a soft gray color at Home Depot and designated a painting weekend and told the husband he better be ready.  After one coat of "Kilz" and two coats of gray, we finally got the result I wanted:




























I also wanted to re-do the baseboard because they were hideous.  So I bought a nice thick baseboard from Home Depot to cover the gap between the wall and the wood floors.  Thanks to the help from my husband and stepdad for cutting them and installing them for me!





















































After the walls were painted, I painted on my own headboard.   I had wanted a white headboard and they were all around $200!  I measured the real headboard in my master bedroom and used the same dimensions, taped it off, and painted a white square.  Then I attached plain, simple baseboards to the edges, and wa-la! A $14 headboard!!

































Next, I hung the curtains, as you can see in the last picture.  I bought them from Bed, Bath & Beyond with my wedding gift certificates.  I believe the panels were $30 each and I bought crystal finials to add to the rod.  I hung the rod much wider than the actual window to give the illusion the window was bigger (since it was pretty tiny).  So the window went from this to this:















Next, I painted an old dresser that I didn't like the color of and decided to once again save some $$ here.  I took this old dresser, sanded it, and gave it several coats of regular white house paint.  Changed the handles to some crystal ones to match and ta-da!



































Then I hung a chandelier I had been eyeing at Ikea for months.  It was only $29.99 and I think it was a perfect centerpiece for this room!





















Then I was finally able to start decorating.  I bought two night stands from Ikea (only $60 each) and then used the same crystal knobs (from Target, duh) I used on the dresser for the night stands.  So now I had matching crystal knobs on the dresser, the night stands, the chandelier, and the finials on the curtain rod :)  I also bought the pictures for above the bed at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $99.  The crystal lamps on the night stands are from Target too and the base was $30 and the shade was $14.





















All that was left at this point was to make the bed, bring in the dresser and add a few decorations to the walls!  I bought plain white sheets from Bed Bath ($60), the purple quilt ($70), shams ($20) & fuzzy white pillow ($15) from Target, the big gray pillows on clearance at Target ($30).  I bought the white fuzzy rug ($27), 4 white & 2 gray picture frames ($20), 5 square mirrors ($20), 2 white frame mirrors ($10), 2 floating white shelves ($15), a couple vases and flowers ($11) all from Target.  And that's it! The room was complete!
























Let me know what you guys think :)

~ Linds




No comments :

Post a Comment